FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TRIBECA FILM WILL PREMIERE TITLES FROM 2011 TRIBECA FILM FESTIVAL IN OVER 40 MILLION HOMES VIA VIDEO-ON-DEMAND
TRIBECA FILM SLATE FEATURES STARS SUCH AS RYAN PHILLIPPE, KEIRA KNIGHTLEY, EVA MENDES, SAM WORTHINGTON AND TAYLOR KITSCH
New York, NY (March 29, 2011) – Tribeca Film, the comprehensive distribution label from Tribeca Enterprises supported by founding partner American Express, today announced that four of its films, 2011 Tribeca Film Festival official selections THE BANG BANG CLUB, THE BLEEDING HOUSE, LAST NIGHT and NEDS, will be released nationwide via video-on-demand under the “Tribeca Film” banner simultaneously with the start of the Festival on April 20. The “Tribeca Film” VOD category will also offer other festival circuit titles, including Dax Shepard’s BROTHER’S JUSTICE and THE HIGH COST OF LIVING, starring Zach Braff.
From April 20 through June 23, these Tribeca Film titles will be available in more than 40 million homes via cable, telco and satellite systems. Additionally, the Tribeca Film platform will be available on the web via digital VOD services. Viewers will be able to access Tribeca Film titles via the “Tribeca Film” category of video-on-demand menus, via pay-per-view offerings and via other branded destinations online. Tribeca Film will also begin to roll out these films’ theatrical releases, starting with THE BANG BANG CLUB in select markets as of April 22 and LAST NIGHT as of May 6.
Tribeca Film’s initial VOD offerings feature notable stars such as Ryan Phillippe, Zach Braff, Keira Knightley, Taylor Kitsch, Sam Worthington and Eva Mendes. Film and television star Dax Shepard gets behind the camera for his directorial debut as he takes viewers on his journey to become an internationally-renowned martial arts star. These films will introduce audiences to the world of conflict photography, the violent side of 1970s Glasgow through the eyes of a bright young boy on the brink of adolescence and the life-changing consequences and relationships that can result in the course of one night.
“We are excited to be able to present a spectrum of specialty films that will simultaneously premiere at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival and on demand in over 40 million homes, giving those not at the Festival in NY a chance to enjoy these quality films,” said Geoff Gilmore, Chief Creative Officer for Tribeca Enterprises.
Films premiering at the 2011 Tribeca Film Festival, on VOD and in theaters:
- THE BANG BANG CLUB, written and directed by Steven Silver. (Canada, South Africa) – US Premiere. THE BANG BANG CLUB is the true story of four young combat photographers bonded by friendship and their sense of purpose to tell the truth. They risk their lives and use their cameras to tell the world of the violence associated with the first free elections in post-Apartheid South Africa. Ryan Phillippe, Malin Akerman and Taylor Kitsch star in a film that explores the thrills, danger, and moral questions associated with exposing the truth.
- THE BANG BANG CLUB will have a platform national theatrical release beginning April 22 in NewYork (Village East Cinema), Los Angeles (Laemmle Sunset 5), Santa Ana/Costa Mesa, CA (South Coast Village) and Chicago (Music Box Theater), and April 29 in Washington DC (West End Cinemas) and Seattle (North West Film Forum), with additional markets and theaters to follow.
- THE BLEEDING HOUSE, written and directed by Philip Gelatt. (USA) – World Premiere in Cinemania. Meet the Smiths—a family full of secrets who keep to themselves on a back road outside a small Midwestern town. In this visceral, tightly wound horror/thriller, their lives are shaken when a sweet-talking Texan arrives on their doorstep on a mission for retribution. Will he succeed in his goal to bleed them of their sins, or will the family’s haunted past prove to be even more deadly than he bargained for? THE BLEEDING HOUSE will have a limited theatrical release in 2011, beginning May 13.
- LAST NIGHT, written and directed by Massy Tadjedin. (USA) – US Premiere, Narrative. Apart for one night, a happily married couple (Keira Knightley and Sam Worthington) is confronted by temptation that may decide the fate of their marriage. LAST NIGHT is ultimately about choices—to be in a relationship with someone, to give yourself to someone physically, to open yourself emotionally, and how to survive all three. Eva Mendes, Guillaume Canet, and Griffin Dunne also star in this sexy, provocative romantic drama.
- LAST NIGHT will have a platform national theatrical release beginning May 6 in New York (Angelika and Chelsea Clearview), Los Angeles (Laemmle Sunset 5), Dallas (Angelika), Santa Ana/Costa Mesa, CA (South Coast Village), and San Francisco (Kabuki), and May 13 in Washington DC (West End Cinemas) and Boston (Coolidge), and on May 27 in San Diego (Gaslamp 15), with additional markets and theaters to follow.
- NEDS “Non-Educated Delinquents,” written and directed by Peter Mullan. (UK) – US Premiere, Narrative. Directed by award winning actor/director Peter Mullan (MY NAME IS JOE, THE MAGDALENE SISTERS), NEDS takes place in the gritty and savage world of 1970s Glasgow. On the brink of adolescence, John McGill is a bright and sensitive boy. He’s eager to learn and full of promise, but with no one willing to give him a chance, young John descends into a violent life of crime. NEDS is an intense and tragic portrayal of the loss of hope. NEDS will have a limited theatrical release in 2011, beginning May 13.
Also available on Tribeca Film on VOD and in theaters:
- BROTHER’S JUSTICE, co-directed by Dax Shepard and David Palmer – This Hollywood satire follows Dax Shepard as he makes the rash decision to abandon comedy in pursuit of his true dream: to become an internationally-renowned martial arts star. Winner of the audience award at the Austin Film Festival and an official selection of the Hollywood Film Festival, it marks the directorial debut of Shepard and features performances by Tom Arnold, Bradley Cooper, David Koechner, Michael Rosenbaum and Nate Tuck. BROTHER’S JUSTICE will have a limited theatrical release in 2011.
- THE HIGH COST OF LIVING, written and directed by Deborah Chow – This dark romantic drama about intertwined fates centers on the burgeoning relationship between an unlikely pair. Nathalie (Isabelle Blais) is expecting her first child, and Henry (Zach Braff) is on his way to his next drug deal. Their paths fatefully collide one night in an event that will irrevocably change their lives. The film was an official selection of the Toronto Film Festival. THE HIGH COST OF LIVING will have a limited theatrical release in 2011.
The Tribeca Film website www.tribecafilm.com has an easy-to-use guide on where to find all films.
About Tribeca Film
Tribeca Film is a comprehensive distribution label dedicated to acquiring and marketing independent films across multiple platforms, including theatrical, video-on-demand, digital, home video and television. It is an initiative from Tribeca Enterprises designed to provide new platforms for how film can be experienced, while supporting filmmakers and introducing audiences to films they might not otherwise see. American Express continues its support of Tribeca and the independent film community by serving as the Founding Partner of Tribeca Film.
About Tribeca Enterprises
Tribeca Enterprises is a diversified global media company based in New York City. Established in 2003 by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff, the company currently operates a network of branded entertainment businesses including the Tribeca Film Festival, Tribeca Film Festival International, Tribeca Cinemas, and the newly announced distribution initiative, Tribeca Film. The Company's mission is to provide artists with unique platforms to expand the audience for their works and to broaden the access point for consumers to experience independent film and media. Jonathan Tisch, through Walnut Hill Media, is a minority investor in Tribeca Enterprises and is a member of the Board of Directors.
MEDIA NOTE: Film stills are available at www.image.net. If you are not an image.net media user yet, please register using the following referral code: 2604.